I’m going to step on some toes for a moment.
I don’t want you to hate me or get angry at me, but having spent the past few years really trying to help freelancers to have a better business and a better lifestyle, I’ve noticed some peculiar behaviors I want to address in a short fashion. Remember, I am a person that likes to ask the hard questions and prod people to action.
Is Your Business Really Important to You?
Here’s an honest and raw observation. Many freelancers or wanna be freelancers aren’t really committed at all. Let that sink in a minute. It’s not that they don’t want to achieve their goals, it’s that they won’t make the proper investments or efforts to make it happen. Launching ANY business requires some sort of sacrifice. You can’t just read a great book or blog post and will your business to success. You can’t sign up for a program and hope that someone else will build your sales pipeline for you. You can’t ask someone to give you insights and then ignore their advice. Unfortunately there are people who do this and their business dreams are going to fail miserably.
If this sounds like you then it’s time to decide what it is that you really want and if you are willing to make all the efforts necessary to achieve your goals! I don’t mean to be harsh but sometimes we need to hear the hard truth.
You Have the Opportunities and Resources
Now more than ever, freelancers have an abundance of resources and opportunities that they can take advantage of. There are amazing books, coaching programs, membership sites, online training sites, blogs, and apps that will transform your business. There really is no reason to not achieve the goals that you’ve set for yourself (of course, unless you haven’t set those goals yet).
I want to challenge those of you who have been talking about how important your business is to you but haven’t made the investments to make it happen.
Here are some recommended action steps and tasks. You can decide what works for you and you can choose more than one. Just as long as you take action. Some of these steps may require time, other’s may require money, but if you REALLY believe in your business dream then you need to double down and do it.
- Purchase Your Best Year Yet! Ten Questions for Making the Next Twelve Months Your Most Successful Ever by Jinny S. Ditzler. Spend three hours working through the ten questions before the end of this year.
- Sign up for special training programs such as WebDesign.com, WP Elevation, Lynda.com, or Khan Academy. Invest in and build your skill set.
- Read or subscribe to new blogs. Some of my favorites are Curtis McHale, The Great Discontent, The Blog Maven, 99U, Nathan Barry, and Brains on Fire blog.
- Join a Mastermind Group.
- Engage in the blog posts and community offerings here at Freelancing Success!
- Buy and read Business Brilliant, The Commitment Engine, The E-Myth Revisited, Start with Why, or Die Empty. AND then comment here on a valuable lesson or two that you learned from your reading.
- Learn a new program or app that will help your business.
- Hire a coach to help you get over your hurdles before the end of the year! I am running an amazing deal right now.
You can also make your own plan or list out your own objectives if that works better. I just want you to take it seriously and follow through.
No More Excuses
Finally, I want to say that all of us could find some reason to not reach our goals. We’re tired, broke, stressed out, overwhelmed, scared, unsure, or any one of a thousand other reasons to not execute on our plans. These are only excuses. There is always a way to be moving forward. There is always some type of action that you can take if you are truly serious about your business.
It’s now up to you to do the rest. Let’s start celebrating some incredible successes this year and next on Freelancing Success!